Here is the 7th and final post in the series of Yoga Sequences for Your Chakras.
The Crown Chakra, Sahasrara, meaning ‘a thousand petals’ is related to the connection with universal energy or Source, consciousness, universal understanding, and pure wisdom. It is where consciousness, soul (Atma and Purusha), universal knowledge and truth enter our body. From here, we can transcend the physical and connect with the divine.
This chakra gives us access to higher states of consciousness, as we open to what is beyond our preoccupations and our physical experience. Every element of the previous chakras are already here and blend at the crown, as we are all One and everything is connected.
Location: The crown chakra, is the seventh primary chakra and is located at the crown of the head.
Element: Its element is thought and the corresponding endocrine gland is the pineal gland.
Colour: Its colour is purple (sometimes white or gold), and its sound is silence, the language of the divine.
Unbalanced Crown chakra
An unbalanced Sahasrara can result in:
- doubt and denial of spiritual reality
- religious extremism
- alienation, close-mindedness
- symptoms without physical cause
- abuse of ‘lower’ life forms, human superiority
Balanced Crown chakra
A balanced Sahasrara can result in:
- knowing the unknown, intuitive knowledge
- deeper understanding and consciousness of the infinite
- experiencing a reality beyond the realm of the physical senses
- experiencing all as One
- integration, expression and actualisation of such peak experiences
Affirmations to balance this chakra could be
- I accept and receive divine guidance
- My connection to source is clear and powerful
- I am one with the Universe
- Divine/sacred/universal energy flows in and through me
- I live my divine purpose
- I am a being of love and light
- I open to enlightenment
Essential oils to balance the crown chakra
Frankincense, myrrh, helichrysum, gurjun and sandalwood.
A meditation to open your crown chakra
Sit in a comfortable cross-legged position (or on a chair) with your spine straight. Place your palms on your knees, facing upwards, to receive divine guidance.
Close your eyes and start turning your attention inwards.
Take a few deep breaths in and out through the nose to centre yourself and to calm the mind.
When you feel calm and relaxed, imagine a little seed growing in the earth, just beneath you. Feel its presence, its warmth, its energy.
Slowly feel it becoming stronger and stronger, as it travels from the earth, into your being and upwards along the spine. Feel it at your roots, then the sacral chakra, solar plexus, heart space, through your throat, your third eye and the top of the head. Spend some time on each chakra and take your time, you may not feel it travelling all the way up to the crown and that’s ok. Simply be present with wherever you feel it in your body.
When you feel it reaching the top of your head, imagine this energy opening and blossoming into a 1000-petalled lotus flower floating just above the crown of your head. Enjoy the moment.
When you are ready, start bringing the energy back downwards, along the spine, back to your roots and into the earth, to remain grounded.
Take a few deep breaths, bring your awareness back to the physical world and gently open your eyes.
Journaling prompts to support your Sahasrara
- What do I believe about the Universe?
- What spiritual truths am I aware of but don’t follow?
- What do I know?
- Who am I?
- Am I open to perceive subtle energies/non-physical realities?