This week we land on the 6th Chakra, Ajna, which is also known as the ‘Third Eye’
The third eye chakra, Ajna, meaning ‘to know’ or ‘to perceive’, is about intuition, psychic abilities, the right to ‘see’ and self-realisation. The third eye is a mystical and esoteric concept referring to an invisible eye which provides perception beyond ordinary sight. The third eye is the extension of what the mind knowingly perceives.
Location: The third eye chakra, Ajna is the sixth chakra and is located in the forehead, between the eyebrows. It is said that he who meditates successfully on this chakra destroys the karma of all past lives, and becomes a liberated soul.
The corresponding endocrine gland is the pituitary gland.
Element: Its element is ether.
Colour: Its colour is indigo and its mantra is OM.
Unbalanced Third Eye chakra
An unbalanced Ajna can result in:
- feeling ‘out of it’, out of touch with reality
- confusion in what is real and what appears to be real
- hiding in intellectual analysis
- psychic disturbances
- being fearful about the phantasmagorical visions passing before your mind’s eye, especially if the lower chakras are unbalanced
Balanced Third Eye chakra
A balanced Ajna can result in:
- being comfortable in any reality
- clear perception
- psychic abilities, often clairvoyance
- reliable intuition
- seeing energy within and beyond form
Affirmations to balance this chakra could be
- I trust and honour my intuition
- I see my true self
- I am connected to my inner knowing
- My intuition and instincts guide me every day
- My mind is open to new vision and perceptions
- I expand my awareness
- I am connected to my Higher Self
Essential oils to balance the third eye chakra
Palo Santo, Bay Laurel, Angelica root, Patchouli, Vetiver, Majordam.
A meditation to open your third eye chakra
Sit in a comfortable cross-legged position (or on a chair) with your spine straight. Place your palms on your knees.
Close your eyes and start turning your attention inwards.
Take a few deep breaths in and out through the nose to centre yourself and to calm the mind.
When you feel calm and relaxed, bring your awareness to the space just above the eyebrows. Notice the energy being generated in this area.
With each inhale, imagine a ball of indigo light growing and expanding in the third eye. With each exhale, release any block related to the third eye and its function. Continue this pattern for as long as it takes for you to feel warmth in the centre of the forehead. The warmth will help to heal and open your chakra.
When you are ready, gently open your eyes and continue your day feeling aligned and connected with yourself.
Journaling prompts to support your Ajna
- What beliefs do I continue to accept that I know are not true?
- If you have had visions, channelling or clairvoyant experiences, what were you doing when they occurred? What state of mind and being were you in?
- Do I accept, honour and follow my intuition?
- When I connect to my third eye energy, what do I see or perceive? How do I feel? What scares me about it? What makes me curious about it?
- I feel intuitively that….